If your looking for a fully decadent, healthy raw vegan treat then this is a great bet. Its very straight forward and can easily be modified if you want to change up the nuts. The original recipe by Jessica Fenton called for walnuts instead of cashews and had the addition of guarana which i didn’t deem appropriate for the occasion, its very stimulating! I made one when I visited my heavily pregnant friend and it went down well 🙂 She asked for the recipe so here it is!
I didn’t manage to get photos of this unfortunately before it was gobbled up. It comes out as a very dark, rich looking, dense torte and the topping is pretty much the same colour with the jewels of the gojis lightening the whole thing up.
100g hulled sunflower seeds
250g raw cashew nuts-soaked
300g pitted dates- soaked
6 tbsp raw cacao
50g melted raw virgin coconut oil
3 tbsp maple syrup or raw agave
pinch of sea salt
50g almond meal or hulled hemp seeds- ground
40g melted cocoa butter or coconut oil
2 tbsp of melted coconut oil
1 tbsp of raw cacao powder
2 tbsp of Berry Radical Antioxidant blend
3 tbsp of maple syrup or agave
handful of goji berries
- Grind your sunflower seeds in a coffee or spice grinder. You can also do the cashews dry in the same way but I prefer to soak them and do them in the food processor.
- Put all dry ingredients in food processor and add a handful of dates at a time, adding liquids to loosen. Stopping to scrape down regularly. It might be pretty hard going depending on your strength of your motor and doing it in 2 batches might be easier.
- Once all at a thick, smooth consistency, spoon into your greaseproof paper lined loaf tin or straight into a silicon one. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon, pop in the freezer to firm up
- Make the ‘icing’ by blending all ingredients together. You can use the processor bowl as is without cleaning first 🙂 Add more oil or sweetener if desired.
- Spoon over the main loaf and decorate with goji berries, desiccated coconut, cacao nibs, whatever you have to hand. Return to freezer to set.
Before slicing move to fridge. You can store in the fridge or freezer and devour as required. Its very rich so small slices are fine! Enjoy!