Thankyou Nadia’s kitchen for this recipe. i whipped it up this morning for my mum’s birthday cake as you adores lemons. I didn’t have quite enough lemon but it still tasted good and lemony with only 3 lemons. I also didn’t use the almonds or polenta (which would account for the colour difference) I sed instead a Doves farm gluten free flour blend which is a pretty good bet usually.
I would add to make sure your baking powder isn’t too old. After all this is how your cake will rise without relying on eggs. My cake was pretty dense because of this I believe.
Here’s Nadias’ unadulterated recipe.
For the lemon cake
- 1/2 cup (90g) polenta
- 1/2 cup (55g) ground almonds
- 1/2 cup (75g) buckwheat flour or gluten-free blend
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Juice of 4 lemons
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp milled flaxseed + 5 tbsp hot water)
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) maple syrup, honey or any other liquid sweetener
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) milk of choice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
For the coconut lemon frosting
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated or coconut cream
- Juice & zest of 1 small lemon
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 180*C (160*C fan assisted)/ 350*F/ Gas Mark 4
- Prepare the flax eggs by mixing 5 tbsp hot water with the milled flaxseed in a small bowl. Leave for 10 minutes to set.
- In a large bowl, mix together the polenta, flour, grounds almonds, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Pour in the lemon juice, milk, coconut oil, maple syrup and flax eggs. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer into a loaf tin covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Leave to cool completely before icing.
- For the coconut lemon frosting – open the can of coconut milk. There should be a thick layer of cream on top – scoop out the thick part only and place it in a large bowl or if your using coconut cream then use as is.
- Use a hand mixer to whip the coconut cream for a few minutes until it’s light and fluffy.
- You will only need around 1/2 the whipped cream to make the frosting. and to that add the lemon juice and maple syrup. Continue mixing until well combined.
- Spread the frosting over the cake and decorate with lemon slices, lemon zest or mint leaves.